Monday, August 20, 2007

In Loving Memory of Dr. Steve Poe

I am very saddened to report that Prof. Steve Poe passed away suddenly on Thursday, August 16, 2007 while playing tennis. Poe is one of my favorite college professors (undergraduate and graduate). He had a tremendous impact on my research and teaching. His obituary can be found in Sunday's edition of the Denton Record Chronicle.

I am happy to count myself as one of Steve Poe’s students. I became interested in the empirical study of human rights after taking Steve Poe’s undergraduate human rights class at UNT. Poe encouraged me to follow my research interests in human rights through independent study and later through graduate school. Steve was a great mentor and provided inspiration and guidance throughout my academic journey. I will miss turning to him for advice.

Steve Poe is the best instructor I have ever known. Poe had an uncanny ability to steer classroom discussions and create an interactive learning environment. I will never forget the fictitious country Trombonia he used in his foreign policy decision-making exercise. When I prepare for classes I often think, “What would Poe do?” I will continue to use my memories of him to help me with my teaching and research.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Dawn. Good professors are hard to come by these days.